Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease: A review of new outcome data impacting practiceLecture - July 30, 2016 - Asian Interchange on Diabetes meeting - David Fitchett, MD – University of Toronto, Canada
Dr. David Fitchett recalls the history of outcome trials of antidiabetic drugs, culminating in the clear CV benefit obtained with an SGLT2 inhibitor recently shown in the EMPA-REG OUTCOME trial.
This lecture was recorded at the Asian Interchange on Diabetes meeting, held in Bangkok on July 30-31, 2016.
Video navigation menu
- How to reduce diabetes burden and the associated CV risk 1:50
- The need to demonstrate CV safety for new glucose-lowering drugs 4:03
- CVD outcomes in DPP-4 inhibitor and GLP-1 analogue trials 5:25
- Reducint renal glucose reabsorption by inhibiting SGLT2, and postulated downstream CV effects 6:28
- The first outcome trial with an SGLT2 inhibitor is now finished: EMPA-REG OUTCOME 9:08
- Effects of treatment with empagliflozin on metabolic parameters and clinical outcomes. 13:58