Diabetes, Cardiology & Novel Therapeutic Approaches: Science, Outcomes and Practice
CME accredited E-LearningOnline-CME - This course consists of 3 lectures
During this Educational Program, novel diabetes treatment approaches in the prevention of CVD in patients with T2DM will be discussed.
This course consists of the following lectures:
- Diabetes & CVD: Time for a multifactorial approach - Prof. John E. Deanfield, MD, University College London, UK
- Novel therapeutic diabetes approaches: The cardiovascular benefits beyond glucose control - Prof. Lina Badimon, Hospital Santa Creu and San Pau, Barcelona, Spain
- Translating GLP-1 trial outcomes to cardiology practice: Which patients will benefit?- Prof. Neil Poulter Imperial College London, UK
After watching 3 videos on diabetes and CVD, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the CV risk associated with diabetes
- Name cells/systems that play a role in this association
- Explain the need for novel approaches for CV prevention in T2DM patients
- Discuss how diabetes and the associated risk of CVD can be prevented
- Give an example of a trial that compares a new diabetes drug vs placebo in a patient population without diabetes
- Remember how GLP-1 is discovered and explain the pleiotropic effects of GLP-1
- Describe the outcomes and study population characteristics that were studied in recent GLP-1RAs CVOTs in T2DM patients
- Translate the findings of recent GLP-1RAs CVOTs to practical implications for treatment and prevention strategies for T2DM patients with high CV risk
- Prof. John Deanfield - Professor of Cardiology - Director, National Centre for Cardiovascular Prevention and Outcomes, University College London, United Kingdom
- Prof. Lina Badimon - Director of the Cardiovascular Science Institute (ICCC) in Barcelona in the Hospital Santa Creu and San Pau, Director of the Cardiovascular Research Chair of the Autonomous University of Barcelona and Director of the UNESCO Chair in Biomedical Sciences Training and Research.
- Prof. Neil Poulter - cardiologist, Faculty of Medicine, National Heart & Lung Institute; Professor of Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, Imperial College London, United Kingdom, Member of the Executive Board and President Elect of the International Society of Hypertension
This educational activity is designed for cardiologists in secondary care and other healthcare professionals with an interest in treating patients with cardiovascular disease.
This online course is accredited by the European Board for Accreditation in Cardiology (EBAC) for 1 hour of external CME credit(s).
Supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Novo Nordisk.
This is available as accredited online CME for members. Click the button below to enroll:Enroll