Reshaping the future of heart failure management - Translating innovations to practice in HFpEF
EBAC-accredited E-LearningOnline-CME - This course consists of 3 lectures.
This educational program consists of three lectures on heart failure, covering obesity-related HFpEF, ATTR and treatment options.
This course consists of the following lectures:
- Understanding and managing obesity-related HFpEF - Milton Packer, MD – Dallas, TX, USA
- Cardiac amyloidosis: An emerging target in HFpEF? - Prof. Peter van der Meer, MD – Groningen, The Netherlands
- Heart failure & diabetes: What is the goal of treatment? - Prof. John McMurray, MD – Glasgow, United Kingdom
After watching three videos on concepts in HFpEF and management of HFpEF patients, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the role of obesity in the development of HFpEF
- Understand the postulated mechanisms that drive obesity-related HFpEF
- Recall how to make a diagnosis of ATTR, a subtype of cardiac amyloidosis, in HFpEF
- Name strategies for treatment of ATTR
- Describe treatment options to prevent HF in diabetes patients
- Discuss strategies for treatment of established HF
- Milton Packer, MD, is an internationally recognized clinical investigator in the field of heart failure. He spent most of this career in New York City, where he was the Dickinson Richards Professor and Chief of the Division of CIrculatory Physiology at Columbia University. From 2004-2015 he was Professor and Chair of the Department of Clinical Sciences at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. Dr. Packer is currently the Distinguished Scholar in Cardiovascular Science at Baylor University Medical Center, part of Baylor Scott & White Health.
- Peter van der Meer received both this MD and PhD cum laude from the University of Groningen in the Netherlands and worked as a visiting scientist at Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA. He is a cardiologist and director of the coronary care unit at the UMCG, Groningen, The Netherlands. He is professor of Heart Failure and Translational Cardiology at the University of Groningen.
- John McMurray, MD is Professor of Cardiology and Deputy Director (Clinical) of the Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences at the University of Glasgow and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Glasgow.
This educational activity is designed for cardiologists in secondary care and other healthcare professionals with an interest in treating patients with heart failure.
This online course is accredited by the European Board for Accreditation in Cardiology (EBAC) for 1 hour of external CME credit.
Through an agreement between the European Board for Accreditation in Cardiology and the American Medical Association, physicians may convert EBAC External CME credits to AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Information on the process to convert EBAC credit to AMA credit can be found on the AMA website. Other health care professionals may obtain from the AMA a certificate of having participated in an activity eligible for conversion of credit to AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
Funding for this educational program was provided by unrestricted educational grants from Novartis, Novo Nordisk and Pfizer.
This is available as accredited online CME for members. Click the button below to enroll:Enroll